Monday, July 4, 2011

But our Boss is in another castle!

After reading this article on the current state of boss fights and why, in the writer's opinion, they are no longer relevant (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1179415p1.html) I sat down and thought about my favorite boss fights. Not the antagonists themselves, most of them have had no, or very unfulfilling boss fights throughout gaming history. No I'm talking about the rush or fighting an epic fight at the end of a journey, the good mechanics that made an encounter especially memorable or interesting. Some fight did both, some are just memorable because of the number of time we screamed out in agony for that 20th time the boss handed our asses to us. So here, without further ado and linguistic nonsense, is my, for different reasons, top-five boss encounters of all time:

5. Heigan in Naxxramas (Gotta love how fucked up it is to do it if the latency is off even slightly)
4. GLaDOS, from Portal (Just the structure and humor made it very much an unique boss fight)
3. Helmasaur King in A Link to the Past (I just love the design of this mofo)
2. Phantom Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time (Just a damn awesome boss fight with sweet mechanics and an epic design)
1. Vergil in DMC3 (A fight between demon brothers on the edge to abyss of hell, need I say more?)

4 comments:

  1. Cool! I'll add mine. I won't mention GLaDOS since you've already mentioned "her".

    5. Ganondorf in Twilight Princess - Moreso because of the atmosphere and the horseback fighting than anything else. I sort of also want to mentioned Ocarine of Time final Ganondorf in here as well.
    4. Zone of the Enders 2 - Anubis, final boss battle. Just when you think things can't get any more hyper-crazy, they do. Honorable mention to the battleship armada battle, which might not qualify as an actual boss fight.
    3. Devil May Cry 1 - Magma Spider. Playing this boss battle in the old PS2-demo is what got me hooked on the game.
    2. Xenogears - Grahf. He's always scared the crap out of me and he's the pinnacle of power you'll be striving to beat throughout the game.
    1. Mother Brain - Super Metroid. I couldn't find a more atmospheric boss battle below the stratosphere.

    If it wasn't for you mentioning DMC3, I think I might have completely forgotten Magma Spider. What a prick he was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked volvagia the most of all zelda bosses I think.... and Lord Fuge in Silver :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think an honorable mention should go to pretty much every single boss in Diablo II

    ReplyDelete